If

If you can fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds worth of distance run

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

10 weeks:- the Final Countdown

The Final Countdown: 10 weeks:-

After a successful British Open competition, followed by nomination to Team GB 2012 by the British Judo at -52kg, and then a pretty hectic 3 days getting organised and trying to squeeze in my training, it was that time again - Japan/Korea part 2. It was only 6 weeks since I was last out there so it was easier to pack and prepare. A lot less training stuff went in this time; it was really easy to wash things there; and a lot more food went in instead! This isn't because I don't like the food in Japan or Korea, I love it, but at this stage I have to be very controlled with my diet and sometimes it's easier when you don't have to think about the all the ins and outs of the nutritional side all the time. So in went plenty of porridge sachets and protein bars. Also some snack a jacks. I knew Sally, my Roomie out there, would be bringing the tea and coffee so didn't need that. In went my scales, my HR monitor, skipping rope, foam roller and elastics. Hmm I could see my 27kg limit fast approaching! Good job my hair straighteners are the mini variety.

On Thursday at the airport I invested in a Team GB mug as I remember craving a 'proper' size cup of tea last time. I also bought one for my friend Akina who I'm hoping to catch up with. The 9 o'clock flight was a good time for sleeping and with time differences we arrived at our hotel in Tokyo at 12.00 Friday night. Saturday was a good time for easing into the new time zone and we went into central Tokyo for a walk around and some bargain hunting in Ueno. Sunday me and Sal went to the gym and I did a circuit and a stretch. Then we went to buy a few things from the local shops - I got a flask, a chopping board (for making my salads up), and some chopsticks. I also got a few things for taking home: a bamboo sushi rolling mat, some packets of noodles and a tea strainer. We have a fridge in the room so I got some salad and sashimi- mmmmm good protein!

Monday saw me get stuck into some hard training with a gym circuit and our first judo session at the uni. I knew I had to ease myself in though so kept the judo short - just 90 mins as opposed to the usual 3 hours they do here! Watched a good film on Sal's computer - The Way Back - inspiring story of the human will to survive. Was drifting off about 11.30 so thought I was in for a good nights kip, but it didn't happen.

By Tuesday jet-lag was seriously catching up with me and 2 nights of barely any sleep started to show with some dark eyes and a bit more of a grump about me! In the morning, 4 of us (me, Sally, coach Kate and physio Sophia) headed off to the uni for a gym session. Whilst Sally was getting massive on the weights I did another tortuous circuit, sweated a lot, swore a bit and was a happy chappy when it was shower and lunch time! We ate at the uni and hung around for the session which was at 4. I was so tired by then but managed to get a decent session in with the help of some persuasive encouragement from Kate and the thought of udon noodles for dinner! Sally and I went out for food when we got back and I got some more salad and sashimi for the next couple of days. Fingers are feeling it already so iced them a bit and tried to ease some shoulder ache in the bath. Easier training day today (Wednesday) so time to do some video analysis and get a long physio session in. Think Ben is bring his electro acupuncture needles into the equation! The only place open for a coffee at 6.30am in McDonalds so sat in there, caught up on my training diaries and now back to the room to wake up Sally Ann. MORNING!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment